Penny's Hill Practice

Close this search box.

Fill out a simple online form to get advice and treatment by the end of the next working day.

Non NHS Services – Chargeable

Services which are outwith the NHS Contract

The National Health Service provides most healthcare to the majority of people free of charge, but there are exceptions. GPs are self-employed and are contracted to provide NHS general medical services for their patients.

Sometimes, GPs are asked to provide additional services which fall outside their contract and in these circumstances, they are entitled to make a reasonable charge for providing them.

Please see the list below for details of some of the chargeable services. 

Should you require your doctor to complete a document, under the Data Protection Act 2018, we are required to obtain written permission from the patient for the medical information to be released. A short covering letter will suffice, however we do have a form that can be completed, this is available at the Reception Desk.

We would ask that you allow up to 7 working days for the paperwork to be completed and should you wish to enquire if it is ready for collection please phone after 2pm.

Firearms Licensing

The GP’s at Penny’s Hill Practice are unable to assess patients for firearms certificates due to conscientious objections. They are aware of their responsibilities and obligations under GMC guidance on conscientious objection.

Lasting power of attorney

Please be aware the GP practices have been advised not to sign ‘Lasting Power of Attorneys’

>>Further information from Age UK

Chargeable Services

General Practioner Report                                                     £120
Medical Report£50
Supplementary Report£30
Notes request from insurance company£55
DVLA Medical (DVLA Request) £40
DVLA Medical and examination (DVLA Request)    £85
HGV, LGV, PCV, Taxi report and examination               £120
Medical report for college/sport/leisure/travel/pre-employment£45
Medical report for college/sport/leisure/travel/pre-employment with examination£65
Fostering/Adoption/Supported Lodgings Provider form/report £50
Fostering/Adoption/Supported Lodgings Provider form/report with examination per patient (council requent)£73.86
Holiday cancellation /Injury/Ilness claim form (from patient)£40
Medical Assessment forms-(from patient) inc ESA50 Form£30
Firearm report request from Police on behalf of patient (patient to pay fee)£50
Patient Summary Report£10
Vaccination Report£5
Private Sick note         £30
Private prescription for drugs not needed immediately by patient£20
Freedom from Infection certificate for School/Travel or employment         £35
Replacement certificate of Yellow Fever£30
Seafarer Medical and certificate£80
To whom it may concern letter (To be paid at time of letter request)£25
Private Consultation Appointment£90
Personal Independent payment Assessment form(PIP)£33.50
NHS Continuing Healthcare Funding and Fast track Funding (NHS requests)FOC
1st patient request for copy notes from patient or their solicitorFOC
Council Tax Benefit form (SMI)FOC
JobCentrePlus Questionaire/Universal Credit form/Employment and Support formFOC

Your questions answered

Isn’t the NHS supposed to be free?

The National Health Service provides most healthcare to the majority people free of charge, but there are exceptions: for example, medical reports for insurance companies.

Surely the Doctor is being paid anyway?

It is important to understand that GPs are not employed by the NHS, they are self-employed and they have to cover their costs – staff, buildings, heating, lighting, etc – in the same way as any small business. The NHS covers these costs for NHS work, but for non-NHS work the fee has to cover the Doctor’s costs.

In recent years, more and more organisations have been involving Doctors in a whole range of non-medical work. Sometimes the only reason that GPs are asked to do non-medical work is because they are in a position of trust in the community, or because an insurance company or employer wants to be sure that information provided is true and accurate.

Examples of non-NHS services for which GPs can charge their NHS patients are:

  • accident/sickness insurance certificates
  • certain travel vaccinations
  • private medical insurance reports
  • statements of fact relating to general health e.g. for children’s dance classes
  • Letters requested by, or on behalf of, the patient
  • Holiday cancellation claim forms
  • Referral for private care forms

Examples of non-NHS services for which GPs can charge other institutions are:

  • medical reports for an insurance company
  • some reports for the DSS/Benefits Agency
  • examinations of occupational health

Why does it sometimes take my GP a long time to complete my form?

Time spent completing forms and preparing reports takes the GP away from the medical care of his or her patients. Most GPs have a very heavy workload – the majority work up to 70 hours a week – and paperwork takes up an increasing amount of their time, so many GPs find they have to take some paperwork home at night and weekends.

I only need the Doctor’s signature – what is the problem?

When a Doctor signs a certificate or completes a report, it is a condition of remaining on the Medical Register that they only sign what they know to be true. In order to complete even the simplest of forms, therefore, the Doctor might have to check the patient’s entire medical record. Carelessness or an inaccurate report can have serious consequences for the Doctor with the General Medical Council or even the Police.

What can I do to help?

  • If you have several forms requiring completion, present them all at once.
  • Do not expect your GP to process forms overnight

Examples of Non-NHS Services include the following: 

  • Medicals for pre-employment, sports and driving requirements (HGV, PSV etc.) 
  • Insurance Claim Forms 
  • Prescriptions for taking medication abroad 
  • Private Sick Notes 
  • Vaccination Certificates