The following has been sent out by the Wessex LMC to be distributed to patients by all practices in the LMC area.
TO ALL OF OUR PATIENTS
We are all excited to hear that there is real progress on a Covid vaccine and that this should improve the quality of life for all of us.
We know that you, like us, are struggling with the confines imposed upon us all due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Everyone is trying to make the best of the situation and, as a practice, we are committed to caring for you in the best possible way whilst keeping both you and our team safe.
To keep you as informed as possible, we will update these messages frequently as we become aware of more information from NHS England:
- The Pfizer/BioNTech has now been approved by the British regulator (Medicines & Healthcare products Regulatory Agency) as safe to be used.
- Due to issues about having to store the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine at very low temperatures, it is probably going to be delivered to hospitals first.
- The 2 other Covid vaccines that are in development and have not yet been licensed to be used on patients in the UK – but we are expecting them to be licensed very soon.
- It appears that those eligible for the vaccine will need to have two Covid-19 vaccines for them to be most effective
- There will be some large vaccination centres and some mobile units to deliver and administer the vaccines. We do not know yet what there will be in our area.
- Many thousands of people have volunteered to be part of the project to organise and administer these vaccines which is really encouraging.
- The expectation is that the vaccinations will not start for most people until 2021 and it will take some time to vaccinate everyone who is eligible.
Meanwhile, we all need to keep to the advice of hand-washing, face masks and social distancing but we all look forward to the time when we will return to life as normal.
Thank you for your patience
We will keep you informed as we receive further information. Please be assured that we have not be advised of, nor do we expect that, immunisation against Covid-19 will be mandatory – we are aware that some patients are concerned that they will be forced to have this immunisation. There are no mandatory immunisations in the UK and we do not expect and are not aware of any plans for the Covid-19 immunisation to be made mandatory.
3 December 2020